Thursday, August 26, 2010

Update - He's HOME!

Well, he finally came home! August 12, 2010.
I was so nervous as I waited for his bus to pull up. I was standing there with his sign as I get a phone call from him asking me where I was. He was there - but the buses were not in sight. Of all the buses, his unit pulled around back. As I headed that way we met in the middle. I was nervous, excited, happy .... I almost can't even remember the exact feelings. It was so surreal.

The next day we sat out on a search for somewhere to live when we got married and for me to stay while I am here, because he has to stay on base until the wedding. We started with a blank slate, not knowing where to look or what we were looking for. Fortunately he had a friend who just got an apartment in a town south of where the base is. We decided to skip our plans of just looking, and head south. Even though an apartment complex wasn't what we were originally looking for, we fell in love with the apartments. It is in a safe area and I LOOOOOVE the kitchen. (the most important part of the whole place - to me). We went for it and began the next day searching for stuff to fill the place with.

Furniture store after furniture store, we finally agreed on something and placed the order. Our second major decision together in two days. Luckily the apartments have an onsite laundry facility; however, after doing one load I made the nagging more consistent that we must get our own washer and dryer - SOON!

Agenda number one - Day three - washer and dryer ... I didn't really want to buy a brand new set yet, just starting off - we found a great appliance store the sold used appliances. Everything seemed great, found a set, on sale, good brand, good condition - delivered next day. As we waited for the delivery guys the next day, sitting in the floor (furniture wouldn't be delivered for a while), we had a couple of friends over. The guys came and installed the washer and dryer and I was one happy camper. I immediately put a load in. Less than ten minutes later we get a knock on our door. It's the downstairs neighbor saying her apartment is flooding from the ceiling. Anchor runs back to the laundry room to find 3 inches of standing water - oh no! Let the craziness begin. For the next six hours, we had apartment people, washer/dryer people, coming in and out of the apartment, phone call after phone call. It was crazy and wet. Anchor had to leave for work - but finally we got a new washer and fans to dry up the water, luckily we just got renter's insurance the day before with 100% coverage. Phew! The poor neighbor downstairs has to get her whole apartment repainted ... can't say that's the best introduction - cookies would have been better.

This has been a very interesting two weeks and I know it will only get better and more interesting. I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with my best friend. So far one of my favorite things about having him home is actually having conversations with him - face-to-face.

More to come soon ....

No comments:

Post a Comment