Thursday, July 22, 2010

Beginning the Countdown

57 days from now, I will stand before my high school sweetheart and commit my heart and future to him. On December 24, 2009 Anchor proposed, 26 days before a 7 month deployment. Without a doubt in my mind, I said yes and began on a journey that I never imagined, the beginning of my life as a Marine Wife. Even though I haven't said my vows, I will and I already have experienced a glimpse of what it will be like. It's not a normal life to lead, and that is why I wanted to begin a blog. As a support, a way to express my new adventures of married life, and something creative to do.

As a little girl, I dreamed of the day I would say "I do". I painted a picture in my mind how things would be, like a fairy tale - bippidy, boppidy, boo - and my prince would come and sweep me off my feet. I never thought once that when I finally found my prince, he would leave and I would be forced to plan a wedding on my own, with limited communication, and the demands of life would overwhelm me more than I could handle, all while my best friend was away. I was told the first 6 weeks would be the hardest, but it only seemed to get harder and harder. 6 months into the deployment now, and it's only gotten harder. However, as of today I am 3 weeks away from meeting him as he arrives on a bus back to base. It keeps me going, thinking of the day I will see him again.

Throughout this blog, I hope to post the interesting, sad, hard, amazing, unforgettable, days of our lives, beginning with the final countdown until we reunite. I began losing sleep over his return date about two weeks ago.

What do I wear? What if I'm late and he is waiting while everyone else is with their families? What will I say? I haven't seen him in 7 1/2 months, how will I act? What do I do? Should I take a banner, make something? Should I wear jeans, a dress, heels? How should I do my hair? Oh all the questions?!

But then there's the thoughts I lie awake thinking about ...
trying to remember his touch, his smile, his laugh, his eyes, his kiss, his hugs - because they all seem so vague at the moment. I try to remember and I imagine what it will be like. It's been too long that I almost can't remember the small things. I do know now to embrace every little thing from now on. Because it's times like this, when he is away for so long, that I need to remember well enough to be able to close my eyes and imagine and feel that he is there with me.

I knew what I was getting into when I promised to be with him forever. I knew abscence was part of the deal, but no one can really prepare you for it. The handbooks, the readiness officers, the groups ... nothing beats him being here.

So as I count down until he returns, I have so much to look forward to and so much to prepare myself for. I will be relocating to and area in which I know no one or know nothing about. I will be newly married, learning the ropes to living with a guy, better yet, living with a guy AND his Marine buddies (because I know they will be at the house all the time especially with football season coming up) ... so this should be a very interesting chapter in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment